Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Day 10

Forgive me if I keep this short, but I just wrote the previous 2 days and I'm a little tired and hungry.

The 13 Jun 06 ride from Elko to Wendover was 107 miles, and yes, uphill and into the wind most of the way. I rode by myself most of the way and stayed down on my aero bars to contend with the 20+ mph head/cross wind. We started at 0600 knowing that the elements would challenge us.

Suffice it to say that this ride kicked all our tails. My most memorable experience was coming into Wendover flying down a hill that would normally be 40-50 mph. With a storm rolling in and a 30+kt cross wind, I nearly went down on my bike a couple of times. I was braking and doing 28 and just hoping I would get to the hotel before the storm fully hit. As I entered the hotel, the rain and storm pounded us. Whew!

As the day went on, more storms and bad weather hit many of our folks. In fact, about 10-15 were picked up by the vans and brought to the hotel to fight another day. Great decision by our ride leader, Mike Munk.

Tomorrow is another 100 mile day into Salt Lake City. From our perch here overlooking the Salt Flats, we will be praying for those elusive tail winds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home