Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 24. Prattville, AL to Columbus, GA. 113 miles. Since our journey was less arduous in length and climbing feet, we had an 8 am departure. After organizing all my toys and tools and finishing breakfast, I set my bike against a wall outside my room and enjoyed some great quiet time, cleaning up my "horse" for yet another century plus ride. As I was oiling my chain, the mayor of Prattville drove up in a shiny new BMW and introduced himself. Mr. Gillespie and I chatted for a few moments before I pointed him to our ride leader, Mike Munk. As we all gathered to load our gear, the mayor formally welcomed us all to the area and then presented a miniature "key to the city" to Jonielle, who had been lobbying for this honor since finding out that the mayor would be at our load out. The mayor presented her a miniature, quarter-sized "key to the city," announcing that since Americans now want smaller, more efficient government, he was leading the way with smaller keys to the city. Heh, heh, heh. On this 65 degree and clear morning, we glided down the road to a first left turn that led to a flatter route than we'd seen in many days. Although there were several miles of bone rattling, shake-your-fillings rough roads, much of the journey wound through quiet and serene Alabama, and eventually Georgia. I can report that I an "UGA Look Alike" (UGA is the mascot for the University of Georgia) scared the bejeezus out of me somewhere near the Alabama/Georgia border. UGA may just be an unhappy, former Georgia football supporter, exiled to eastern Alabama, sick of hearing "Roll Tide"! I rode the first 40 miles with Steve and a new rider that joined us, Scott Campbell. Scott did this entire ride about 2 years ago, and hails from Charlotte. From about mile 40 to the lunch stop at mile 74, Steve and I rode by ourselves and really had fun along the gently rolling country roads. We pushed each other without burning all our energy with about 40 miles remaining. The temps climbed to about the low 80's and the humidity was about as high as we'd seen thus far. We enjoyed a pleasant lunch on the porch of an old building, dining on our usual fare and recharging for the ride to the Econolodge in Columbus. Steve and I rode about 10 miles together before he waived me on and slowed his pace. I too slowed a bit to ensure my navigation was a little more accurate for this part of the ride. I already have all the "bonus" miles I need! The ride through Columbus was beautiful, with church spires jutting into the summer sky and a rekindled spirit in the downtown area. I rolled into our humble abode for the night, realizing that yet another daily adventure was over and the grander adventure was also near completion. The day ended with a ribs and fries dinner at the Cannon Restaurant in downtown Columbus. Tomorrow we head to Perry, GA with another late 8 am departure since the ride is a paltry 97 miles. I plan to enjoy every darn one of them. Thanks for all your encouraging words my friends, and thanks again for supporting the wonderful CAC kids. Stay healthy, Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home