Friday, June 16, 2006

Day 13

Today's ride from Salt Lake City to Provo was really a pleasant, low pressure ride. Over 62 miles we saw some beautiful mountains, the BYU campus and transited the town of Orem before arriving in Provo. Since the segment from San Francisco to Salt Lake City ended yesterday, we said goodbye to 9 folks and said hello to 6 new participants who'll go with us to Pueblo, CO.

The only real challenge today was navigation. We follow a "Cue Sheet" that gives you distances to travel and locations to turn. This Cue Sheet today was literally 3 pages long with lots and lots of turns. Reading the cue sheet while avoiding cars, trucks, rocks, road debris etc is a real challenge. My intention today was to follow the crowd and let others navigate, but instead I rode with two of our new participants, Tony from Decatur, TX, a bike manufacturer, and Mike, a real estate broker from Santa Barbara, CA. We had a very comfortable ride and although we almost had one major snafu, we really had fun.

We arrived at the hotel around noon and some of our folks still don't have a room as I finish this at 5 pm. Ugh! Yes, we've been spoiled earlier with near immediate check in's and now our patience is being tried just a little. Most of our folks are handling the wait with great spirits and humor.

Somehow I got the sore throat and cold yesterday, so I'm sniffling a little and hoping to get as much rest as I can. My previous experience has shown me that no matter what I do, it takes 10 days for my cold to run its course. This will be my first attempt at combating a cold while peddling about 800 miles over the next 10 days. I write this not to whine or complain but to let you know that "life happens" and somehow we still figure it out.

Looking forward to a good ride to Price, Utah manana!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home