Thursday, May 03, 2012

Day 12 Dalhart to Pampa, TX. 109 miles (+5 "bonus" miles!) After yesterday's sub 100 mile day, most of the team was feeling rested and ready for another relatively "short" day of 109 miles. I didn't sleep worth a darn last night as I pondered the issues of 1) world hunger and 2) how to create a perpetual motion machine. I think I slept about 2 hours as I tossed and turned and listened to 5, count'em 5 major trains and their obligatory horns sounding 2 miles before and after the crossing that existed right behind our hotel. Nevertheless, I was feeling good about riding as we started off in low 50 degree temps with light winds out of the northwest. I left the parking lot last but quickly built up some steam until I spotted my favorites on the side of the road: horses! A beautiful mare was tending to her new colt and let us look from afar but trotted off with young colt immediately by her side. I have a great photo to share, but can't seem to master the technology tonight. I then rolled along really having "light legs", moving at 20-23 despite a moderate crosswind. I rode with "Dr. Mark", an internist from Minnesota for about 25 miles. He and I talked about why he became and internist, Obamacare, Hospice, and his preparation for a 24 hour bike ride when he returns home. We were easily the first ones to the SAG stop and enjoyed every pedal in beautiful Texas. I left the SAG stop with Martin, Peter and Jonielle as we rode comfortably for about 10 miles before Martin and Peter dropped off. I was surprised when I looked back in my mirror since I think I was riding "in a zone" for a while, feeling cool and relaxed while moving smoothly. Over the next 30 miles, Jonielle and I counted telephone poles, estimated distances to those grain silos waaaay out there (14 miles!), and sliced through a crosswind like we were racing for gold. She is a great athlete who struggled with asthma like symptoms early in our rides through the desert. Now she is riding very strong and pushes all of the guys to ride faster. Despite our quick pace, at mile 81 neither of us could see "the bowling alley" landmark so we continued straight ahead down Cedar Street in the town of Borger. We rode about 2 miles looking for this place and finally asked a local where the bowling alley was. We rode another mile and saw no signs of life at the Borger Bowling Alley. When I called our ride leader and asked about their location, they told me it was no longer a Bowling Alley, but was now a CVS Pharmacy! Yes, we had seen this about 30 minutes earlier, but had not seen the parked van. We were quite happy to find our gang and enjoy those sandwiches and snacks that fuel us for the last 20 miles! Martin, Jonielle and I were the last ones to leave the lunch station after some rapid bike repairs. Shortly after departing the rest stop, a giant bumble bee and my lower, inner front lip tried to occupy the same space for what seemed to be a VERY long time. I never saw him/her, but I can tell you him/her was VERY furry and him/her only got a "light" sting off before departing my area. It took us a while to pick up speed as the terrain rolled and turned and oil country stood straight and tall. We were hauling at 29 mph for most of the last 10 miles with a flat course and direct tailwind into Pampa, a town of 17,100. As always, we celebrated another leg down, emptied the baggage van, showered and headed for some nourishment at the Dixie Cafe. And after a post dinner visit to Braums for ice cream, we readied our ponies for the next ride. Thanks for your wonderful support for the CAC! We are $67 and change away from our goal and you get my biggest long distance cheers! You are making a huge difference for the CAC kids. Stay healthy, Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home