Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 26. Perry to Vidalia, GA. 102 miles. I can almost "smell the barn." As I pedaled through the Georgia countryside, I kept thinking how few miles we have left and how much I wanted to enjoy each mile remaining. I said goodbye to Perry, GA, rolling behind most of the group for about 5 miles. As we picked up speed, I ended up riding with Martin, Terry, Jonielle, and Peter through the first SAG stop. We were moving along nicely in a pace line until Mike asked us to spread it out as he was nervous with our 24 mph pace along a road that he felt was busy. Okay, I can live with that, so I just wandered ahead myself and celebrated the rest of the morning solo. About 25 miles outside of Perry, I spotted an Air Tran DC-8 parked near a hangar on the opposite side of the road. I slowed to take a photo, and a few hundred yards away, I saw a running TH-55 helicopter, a 2-person, "TV News helicopter" that I trained in at Ft.Rucker, AL in 1979. It made me smile to see a portion of "my roots" humming along out in the middle of the Georgia countryside. At the first rest stop, we had a truly southern treat: RC Cola and a Moon Pie! I had a delicious chocolate mint Moon Pie that was woooonderfffffuuuuul! I pushed on down the road and again saw my share of dogs, horses and cows. I kept all of the above at arms length except when I was ambushed after leaving the lunch stop. A team of "covert dogs" caught me full of lunch food and snacks, thinking about riding the last 30 miles and not being as alert as I probably should have. Before I knew what hit me, 5 highly trained attack mutts used a wheeling movement to try and nail me from 3 sides at the same time. Fortunately, my adrenalin kicked in and my 28 mph acceleration foiled these would be ninja dogs. From then on, I day dreamed and celebrated the chance to roll, ride and feel healthy. This ride has really put me on a fitness level that I've not had the chance to sample in many years. And while I know this will likely be fleeting, it really feels good to have the ability to push, tire and recover, and then repeat this process over and over. I don't have any desire to race or compete, but I love the opportunity to improve my fitness level, challenging my body and testing my mind. If I have learned anything out of this adventure, it is that healthy bodies can accomplish difficult things without necessarily causing injury or damage. And on a more humbling note, I had to smile as I stood in line at the McDonald's near our hotel. I stopped to get a shake to take with me while I waited at the hotel for the baggage to arrive. As I waited my turn, I heard a young 5 year old tell his teenage sister, ". . . that guy looks weird." After 2800 miles, a bizarre set of tan lines and sweat pouring down my sides, while wearing my spandex outfit, I'd have to agree with him. For rap tonight, we surprised "little" Steve and enjoyed a ready-made birthday party that his girlfriend had sent to him via a local baker. Steve is a great guy and his girlfriend sent a really touching message to him via an email that was read to all of us. We then reviewed the bidding for tomorrow's arrival at Savannah. We should have a fun, comfortable 102 mile ride, although the possibility of showers is out there. In fact, following a terrific dinner with the "dirty dozen" at Ruby Tuesday's, I jogged back to the hotel in the driving rain. I can't wait for tomorrow's ride and tying a bow around this phenomenal adventure. Stay healthy, Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home