Friday, June 16, 2006

Day 12--1st Day OFF!

Our day off in Salt Lake City was wonderful. I stayed to my normal schedule and arose at 0600 to help keep my sleep schedule on course. After a great hotel breakfast and a cover to cover read of the paper, I took about a 3 mile walk around the business park near the hotel, and then I cleaned up my bike and got it ready for the next day's ride. One of my tires had died from a wire that I'd obviously hit on the day before.

Later in the morning I caught the local shuttle to the airport with my two British friends, Allen and Bill, and then we caught the bus to downtown Salt Lake. We took a tour of the world famous Mormon temple and were briefed by four missionaries from Phoenix, Haiti, the Philippines and Japan. They guided us around the temple grounds and gave us some of the details of their religious beliefs and calling. Their genuineness and sincerity was obvious to me as well as my British buddies.

Touring and walking made us all hungry so we stopped in at the nearby mall and had lunch at the Playbox, a sports bar. We had a healthy filling lunch and toasted our 850 miles with a Corona all around. Just 1 . . . heh, heh, heh.

With our tummies full, we started walking find a bike shop to replace some of the gear that Bill and Allen needed to continue the trip. In about 3 hours, we found 3 bike shops and found exactly what we all needed.

We then caught the city bus back to the hotel to get organized for the next day. At the hotel, we all shared the appetizer the hotel provided for us and then watched the Mavs and Heat game. Yes, friends and family, another totally hedonist day and I couldn't do it without your support and love.

Stay tuned for the Salt Lake to Provo report tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home