Sunday, July 02, 2006

Day 29 Topeka, KS to St. Joseph, MO

Our ride this morning was a real treat. Over 89 miles of rolling, twisting, turning roads through corn and wheat fields. We crossed from Kansas into Missouri at about 33 miles and I've already heard some of my buddies comment on the difference in the roads. Unequivocally, Kansas has the best roads/shoulders thus far.

I saw several things on the ride that caught my attention. A sign said "A Kansas farmer feeds 128 people and YOU!" The other thing that kept reverberating in my head was the word "abundance."

I was so excited that our 3 Brit riders would have a chance to see this unique, land of plenty area of our country. On every side of the road for 80+ miles was food to feed so many and so well. The corn was literally waving in the fields, already 8 feet high and really healthy. The wheat made me sing America as the "amber waves of grain" surrounded me.

At about mile 80 on the outskirts of St. Joe, I met a cyclist who had ridden with America by Bicycle two different times. We talked for a couple miles and then he headed home. For the next 5 miles, we would through a parkway that is such a blessing for this community. It is surrounded by trees, grass covered hills and seems to be right in the middle of the town.

As I was stumbling to read the second page of my cue sheet, another rider pulled up beside me and asked where I was going. When I mentioned the Drury Inn, he guided me the next 5 miles and enabled me to shove the barely readable (sweat, grime!) into my back pocket and enjoy the end of the ride versus navigating and riding at the same time. This local physician brought me to the front door and then peddled off into the . . . heat!

After checking in today, I met a new rider who will join us for the St. Joe to Indy leg. He is a beer distributor from Philly and is excited to join us. While his bike has arrived and is ready to go, his bags are still "flying the friendly skies" somewhere between here and Kansas City.

With a day of rest now upon us, I know most all the group is ready for a little extended downtime. I'm definitely in that group and am excited to have Arlene arriving this afternoon.

Thanks for reading and have a joyous, happy 4th of July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home