Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Day 25 Dodge City, KS to Great Bend KS

For the first time since I departed on 4 June 06, I started my ride without the long sleeve "under armor" like shirt. It was about 65 when we departed Dodge City and began this 94 mile journey.

After a great breakfast in our hotel and after some of our folks completed their complaining of last night's entertainment, we departed for Great Bend, KS. I started the morning off with a flat tire in my room--no I didn't hit a wire in my room, but most likely got the leak on the ride into Dodge City yesterday. This was simply a small "sense of humor" test that took me 5 minutes to change.

I went to bed late (around 11 pm), but felt good rolling out of town. As I crested a hill about 10 miles from the hotel, Mike Munk flagged me down to take my picture next to a huge Dodge City silhouette that greets drivers on the east end. I climbed up on this monument like display and hopefully got a really cool photo. Since my camera died yesterday, I am like Blanch Dubois who was always relying ". . . on the kindness of strangers." If I can't get my camera fixed pronto, I'll probably have to purchase another one.

As I was walking to get the photo taken, my front tire began that dreaded hissing sound.. After further examination, I noticed a weak spot in the side wall of the tire and just decided to change tire and tube and get on with it. Yes, God, I was smiling throughout!

With a new tire and plenty of enthusiasm, I rolled down the road with a quartering tail wind at 26-28 mph for about 20 miles, catching all my buddies and rolling into the SAG stop with Tim. We had a few snacks and then took some team photos at this geographic mid-point between San Francisco and New York City. Everyone was in good spirits and enjoying a strong tail wind effect.

Tim and I departed the SAG together and headed for a slight "off-route" excursion to Fort Larned, an Army outpost to protect travelers along the Santa Fe Trail from the Indians. This small fort was established in the early 1800's and was at one time the home of the Buffalo Soldiers from the 10th Cavalry Regiment. Sad sude note: white soldiers attacked the Buffalo Soldiers, killed over 20 horses and burned most of their possessions before running the solders off. Even more tragically, no one was ever prosecuted or held responsible for this horrendous event.

I learned all the above along with Tim from a US Park Service officer who was giving a guided tour to a group of New Zealand students. In addition to the above, he showed us a block house that was recreated on the original site as a last stand protectorate in the event of an attack. Most curious in this round rock built structure was the interior access they built to water. In the middle of this building was a coffin sized door that lend to a basement like area and tunnel. The tunnel was about 50 yards long and led to an underground well that ensured access to water even if the soldiers were cut off from the outside of the block house. Pretty ingenious!

After taking about an hour + tour, Time and I headed for another landmark along the way, Pawnee Rock. This historic site is today quite underwhelming, but enables the visitor to see from a point about 200 feet above the incredible flat Kansas countryside. Pawnee Rock was yet another important point along the Santa Fe Trail.

The last 12 miles to the hotel were in 95 degree heat and with a tail wind. We were red hot and, after 94 miles, the traditional milk shake never tasted so good. Another rocking day for Team Clydesdale with an average speed of 24 mph.

After checking in, the first order of business in to drag the bags to the room and then find the laundry. Since we all have basically the same stuff, at least 2 or 3 of us do our laundry together and freshen up. Next up is "Rap", our time to get together and discuss tomorrow's ride, and then its on to dinner at Montana Mikes.

Wishing you all tail winds and smooth pavement!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home