Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 14 Provo to Price, UT

Another gorgeous day with some strooong winds coming from the east as we started a slow climb into the mountains. Our leader, Mike Munk, told us to expect the winds in our face until we climbed well into the hill. Then, as predicted, the wind reversed itself and actually helped us in the day's first major climb. Call me weird, but I genuinely love the challenge of climbing--staying aerobic, keeping my speed and pedal cadence constant. I once read that the challenge of a marathon is to fight the urge to slow down. I feel the same way in my climbs. I rolled into the rest stop along with 3 of our new riders, Tony, Mike and Mary.

While Tony and I sat at the Public rest stop, we watched a woman with a Marmanduke-like dog receive the riot act treatment for allowing her dog in a "no pet zone." The queen of the rest area chewed her out, recorded her license plate and then called the local sheriff. Five minutes later, Sheriff Bufford Pusser showed up, heard the whole story from the queen and raced off in hot pursuit to deliver a $299 ticket. Just another day in Utah.

After the excitement, I departed solo for a one hour climb to the 5900 foot summit. Slow, steady, while admiring world-class scenery. The climb was really gradual and there was again a slight tailwind. After cresting the hill, I zoomed downhill for the better part of 10 miles, taking some great photos along the way to include the "balancing rock" and some classic ranges.

I rolled ito the Holiday Inn and then headed to Burger King for a refreshing milk shake with Tim Trelfa and then I went to Albertson's for a little cold medicine and some fresh watermelon. I'm still feeling a little under the weather, but I am definitely getting better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home