Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 19

Hello sports fans! I'm writing from the Pueblo Hotel and Convention Center in Pueblo, CO. I'll recount today's activities and then as time permits, catch you up on what you've missed during the "hotels with no computer available" days.

Today, 23 Jun 06 was absolutely wonderful!!! We peddled from Salida, CO to Pueblo, 95 miles along US 50 and the Colorado River. For almost 50 miles, we had the Colorado on our left, a downhill slope and a tailwind to boot. Life as a cyclist never, repeat never gets better than this. The only "however" for some was the 2000 cyclists participating in the annual "Ride the Rockies" event that used some of the same highways as we rode. I found most courteous, smart/experienced (you'd expect folks riding 4 days in the Rockies to have both) and fun to ride along with. Arlene and I have biked with 10,000 people in the Wichita Falls, TX, "Hotter than Hell 100" six different times. Biking with 10,000 while driving a tandem is much harder than navigating my light, manueverable single around 2000.

Sights along the way included the beautiful federal prison at Canon City, and for some, a side trip to the Royal Gorge. I passed on the Gorge as I'd seen it a couple times before and I wanted to rest and relax prior to Arlene's arrival later tonight. Other cool sights along the way included literally hundreds of National Hot Rod Association participants and their pride and joy hot rods. Hope to see the show on Saturday with Arlene.

I discovered a national secret today. In fact, I think I personally tested the PDEWS. That is, the Prairie Dog Early Warning System (PDEWS). As we rolled out of the mountains into the more arid, desert like terrain, the prairie dogs abounded. When they'd see or hear me, they sounded a loud squeal that would make all the other prairie dogs take cover from the 215 lb cyclist. These rascals were as cute (and smart) as they come.

Our last SAG stop was at mile 71 and from there to the hotel was hot and the tail wind ceased and Mr. Cross Wind started to blow. The terrain is now rolling and bounding compared to the steep climbs we'd experienced in the last few days.

The only surprise on the way in was the change in the name of the hotel--as of 1 March, our "Ramada" changed to the "Pueblo Hotel and Convention Center." After touring hotel row here in Pueblo, I called the hotel and learned that I was close. I checked in, hit the hot tub and started making a few calls to Mark Reid (USAFA 79 classmate), Pete Larsen (stopped in at Gunnison on way home to near Salt Lake), and my sis Carole.

The luggage truck just arrived and I am well trained to on/offload the truck. Looking forward to seeing my sweetheart tonight and relaxing for a day here in Pueblo. Sunday, its on to Lamar, CO and 120 miles. Happy Landings to you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home