Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 15 Price to Green River, UT

Nothing like a 72 mile, low wind/no wind/tail wind ride. Mostly flat, almost a recovery day. On one downhill, I set a new personal best speed record of 48.5 mph. I was cruising along, really enjoying the moment until yet another flat tire interrupted my solitude. After rapidly changing the tire (I now have lots of experience!), I tried to pump up my tire with my pump.

What I had forgotten was that yesterday, on the descent into Price, I heard something go "bump, bump, bump . . . " and decided it was the handle of my pump. When I prepared my bike last night, I decided it was still usable and hence, on the side of a 90 degree F road, I was doing my field test.

Well sportsfans, you know what happens next. Of course the pump was basically worthless and I was forced to wait for the next rider, my friend, Tim Trelfa, to help with his pump. Although Tim didn't have a pump, he did have a couple CO2 cartridges that are supposed to inflate your tire to about 100 lbs in just 3-5 seconds. Sure wish we had that video camera as Tim and I blew threw 2 cartridges and we still had a flat tire.

With God smiling on us (probably laughing at us), the SAG truck drove up with a conventional pump and Tim and I screamed on in together, passing the 10 folks that were laughing at us as they rode by. Sweet revenge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home