Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 18 Montrose to Gunnison, CO

This 77 mile ride started at 5500 ft and went up three times to over 8500 ft---total climbing for the day was a leg tiring 8000 ft. And yes, friends, the wind was again 15 mph in our faces as we left the parking lot in the morning.

At the 6 mile mark, I made a left off US Highway 50 to begin the 7 mile climb to Black Canyon National Monument. the road was winding, had little traffic, and passed several horse farms surrounded by tall, natural log fences. The road was steep in some sections (11% grade) but moderated near the top. After I'd ascended about 2/3 of the hill, I took a quick photo of from whence I came--Montrose, CO. since all of the 11 riders that preceded me left our breakfast restaurant before I did, I got to slowly "reel" each one in on the climb. Despite the significant challenge, all seemed enchanted by the ascent--of course they might have just been hypoxic!

Near the summit, as I was passing through the National Forrest Service toll booth, I met one of our ride leaders, Karen, and peddled along to a beautiful overlook and the visitors center. Black Canyon is awesome! This park has some beautiful viewing areas that literally put you over the Gunnison River, 1500-2000 ft below. As I stood on this viewing point I was struck by the quiet and serenity of this place, poen to all. This is yet another national treasure that abounds in our wonderful country.

After refilling my water bottles, I headed down the hill at over 40 mph and joined the rest of the route to Gunnison. After my adventure, I still had 57 miles to go from the bottom of Black Canyon.

And the wind was precisely in my face (ubiquitous whining!).

For the next 10 miles, it was up hill into the wind to reach the first 8500 ft summit. After a brief downhill, the second pass/hill appeared and this time was a shallower, steady 15 mile climb. By now I was definitely feeling a little tired as this was my 3rd major climb in the last two hours. On this hill I began seeing many of the folks who went directly from Grand Junction to Gunnison, bypassing Black Canyon. All seemed happy yet definitely exerted. With the SAG wagon at the summit at mile 55, I enjoyed a banana, some peanuts, and gatorade and headed down the valley lined by beautiful pastures.

Over the next 20 miles, I saw Colorado's largest lake, Blue Mesa, and again, the Gunnison River. With mountains surrounding its shores, Blue Mesa looked like a boating paradise. After one more 1000 ft climb, the road wound into Gunnison and the Days Inn sign on my right was a welcome sight.

With no mechanical issues and no flats, I had a superb day. Tomorrow, Monarch Pass, 11, 112 ft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home