Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Day 39 Indianapolis, IN to Richmond, IN

Drip, drip, drip . . . Yes friends, the weatherman finally caught up with the America By Bicycle Team on the 72 mile ride today, 11 July 06. As we loaded our things on the trailer, the rain began lightly and continued for about 30 miles. There was no lightening, thunder or scary winds, so the continual drizzle was actually soothing and kind of fun. With the temp around 80 degrees, the rain kept us cool and relaxed. I wore my new booties that are essentially overshoes to keep your biking shoes dry. They are extremely light and worked perfectly. I'll just use that blow dryer in my room and get the humidity out of them and they'll be good for another rainy day.

With my attention focused clearly on the road and surrounding traffic, I didn't see a whole lot of things on this ride. It only takes a very few seconds of distractions to completely ruin your day on a bike (i.e. crash!).

At the rest stop, I found Barb trying to get the local community center open for bathroom access. Seems that we normally use the local volunteer fire department for those purposes, but all the volunteer fire department folks are on vacation. Only makes sense that a fire department guy/girl would take a vacation on a rainy day!

When I arrived at the hotel, I immediately received that "you're not supposed to be here now and no, we don't have a room for you" look. Eventually I got them to give me a towel to keep the nice furniture from getting soiled and of course, I did get access to this computer.

I'm using the Snickers approach this morning, ". . . not going anywhere for a while."(a line from their recent commercial)

The only other interesting thing I can add is that this hotel lobby has an interesting motif--framed men's ties hanging in separate frames that line a circular room. And standing in the entrance to the hotel is a five foot stuffed bear wearing a flag like hat and waving a flag in his left hand . . . make that paw!

Have a wonderful day and stay tuned for our exploits in Ohio starting tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home