Sunday, July 16, 2006

Day 40 Richmond, IN to Marysville, OH

Will catch up here from the Erie, PA Library in just 24 minutes!

Day 40 was the best of times and the worst of times. This 105 mile journey was hot, foggy, humid and had its share of hills and good roads. The first 30 miles were really foggy yet traffic was light. I road alone and felt like I was sometimes feeling my way through the mist.

I cruised into the first rest stop and experience spitting rain as I woofed down some crackers and refilled my water bottles. I put my overboots on my shoes to keep the dirt and crud out of them, but decided not to wear my rain jacket because it was already 80+. As I was signing in and foraging for food at the refreshment table, Barb Munk gave me some bad news. She said that just 10 miles outside of Richmond, IN, my buddy Larry Fariss and another of our riders, Paul, had fallen while riding in a pace line. I later learned that Larry bumped into the wheel of the rider in front of him (Darryl) and Paul in turn ran into Larry. Consequently, Larry fell broke his helmet and pulled in groin. Paul cut a gash in his hand that required stitches and hit his head hard enough to require a short hospitalization/observation. Needless to say, I was distressed and wanted to help but realized that I was over 20 miles away and without the resources to assist.

While Larry was struggling to ride his miles with his strained groin, I strolled along some lonely country roads until I got to the next rest stop at a church. Since the SAG wagon was a long ways away, I knocked on the church door and met Rev Jim and his 4 year old daughter, Hannah. The both looked at me like I was a large alien from Mars, but were kind enough to refill my water bottles and inquire about my adventure. After a short explanation, I called Barb for clearance to motor on down the road and I told her I had water, something to eat and the Pastor's blessing! She cleared me to roll on down the road to the hotel in Marysville.

Larry continued to ride to mile 100 before he heard a snap on his bike. Upon examination he realized that his frame had broken near the attachment point of the rear axel. One of our vans hauled him to the hotel where I rendezvoused with him.

I arrived at the hotel about an hour before the next rider and the hotel staff helped me with a hose and some rags to clean up my very grimey bike. I also spread out all my wet gear and began drying it out. When the second rider, Doug, arrived, I asked to use his shower and clean up just a bit. Larry and I were going to the house of one of my USAFA classmates, Tim Fyda, and his wife, Mary Anne, was supposed to pick us up at about 3 pm.

To make a long story short, Mary Anne arrived about the same time that Larry drove into the parking lot in the van. By now all my stuff was clean and ready for the next day and I rode my bike to the Dollar General Store to get Larry an Ace Bandage for a little support.

Soon after Larry arrived, Mary Anne took us in her van to their house just outside Columbus, OH while Larry simultaneously ran the wickets with his home bike shop and the Felt Factory (biker maker) to try and get new frame. In short order we made it to the Fyda palace and then headed to the nearest Felt dealer who promised to help Larry's need for a new frame.

We then dashed to the Fyda's and had a wonderful meal while meeting John (USAFA 78) and Beverly and all their sons. We had a marvelous time and I hit the rack about 11 pm knowing I had another 100 mile day ahead. Whew!

Larry's hurting and needs a new bike but he'll stay at the Fyda's until both issues are resolved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home