Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Ride the West Sep 09--Day 4 Florence to Bandon

Hello Amigas and Amigos!

Oregon becomes more and more impressive each day I roll down the highway. I pedaled about 80 miles to arrive in picturesque Bandon, OR at about 2:15 pm. The ride started with some easy pedaling to depart Florence and continue down Highway 101 South. First on the tour parade was a trip to Dune State Park. The sand dunes continue to grow outside their state park assigned area and I'm sure the park rangers are not laughing. Once again, Mother Nature is in charge. The dunes seemed to extend a full 30 miles down the highway and we stopped at two great observation points. With the dunes in the foreground and the Pacific in the background, the picture in front of you in nothing short of awing.

Our first rest stop was next to the Umpqua Lighthouse, right above an ATV playground area in the dunes. As I departed the rest stop, I noticed a sign on the highway for the "ATV lane" that was down a sand laden road. From there we immediately hit about a 10 minute uphill stretch that warmed me up in the face of 52 degree temperatures. By the time I got to the top of the hill I've gone from cool/cold to drenched in sweat. And so it goes!

I put my head down with the tail wind and really enjoyed moving along quickly on some nice roads. Approaching the bridge outside the town of North Bend, I stopped at a Veterans Memorial along the banks of the river. I was moved by a memorial that I've included in my photos above. The inscription really struck me as a contract many have made for this great country. After a few moments of reflection, I headed over the 1.1 mile expansion bridge into Bend where I made a colossal mistake.

The bridge is only a two lane structure with a 4 foot wide sidewalk that is elevated about 2 feet above the road. Since our route map told us to use the sidewalk, I attempted to cycle across the bridge. In hindsight, I should have just pedaled in the traffic lane and I'd have been across in about 3 minutes. Instead, I balanced on this very narrow sidewalk that got as narrow at 3 feet on the down side of the bridge. I think I moved along at about 8 mph but I was so fixed on the task at hand (staying away from the two foot drop into traffic on my left and banging into the concrete wall on my right!). When I eventually got to the other side I realized that IF I ever cross this monster again I'll either walk on the side walk or pedal in the middle of the driving lane.

I pulled into the rest stop at Charleston, narrowly missing the drawbridge delay. I hung around the rest stop at the Charleston visitor center for about 30 minutes, talking with Dave the Pet Store Supplies Manager and Barbara. Eventually, I borrowed the key to the facilities from the Charleston Visitor Center and that's were I ran into a tough looking local. See the photo above and tell me you'd not be a bit shaken! Fortunately, I told him I had sold all my Mrs. Paul's stock and he left me alone. Whew!

Re-hydrated and ready to push the last 25 miles, I departed with Dave and we immediately began climbing Seven Devils Road. Seven Devils was 10 plus miles of hills, hills, and more hills, interspersed with some tired cyclists dragging their hind ends and saddle bags up, up and away. God bless those self supporting cyclists, but that's not the way we roll around here. As I was cresting one hill I saw a couple walking and then remounting their bikes. While pulling abeam them I asked if they were okay. The young lady said nothing, but the kid with a nose ring yelled in frustration, ". . . no I am not okay," and then he turned he stomped his pedal crank in disgust. Not a happy bicycle camper. As I turned down Whiskey Run Lane, I was flying and feeling the joy of cycling. I zigged and zagged down the hill until I noticed "the ugly" part of the "good" and "bad" in the Oregon countryside.

The clear cut hundreds of acres stood out like the sorest of thumbs in an otherwise paradise. I'm sure there is a story for this once pristine land, but the headline today is, "Man Trashes Oregon Countryside." I'm no eco-bubba per se, but if you saw the thousands of stumps I saw, you'd complain too. The final part of the ride into Bandon was terrific. The town is right on a small harbor and almost all the downtown is abeam a boardwalk that lines the banks. Our hotel sits up the hill from the harbor and overlooks the town and harbor. We had a tasty, filling meal at the Minute Cafe, an establishment that has been in existence since 1909. Tomorrow looks nice, a mere 55 miles and tailwinds throughout. Bring it on!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
I really enjoyed reading this blog. Your writing is terrific and quite descrioptive.
Best wishes,
Greg Moats

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home