Sunday, July 23, 2006

Day 49, Little Falls, NY to Troy, NY

This was the wettest ride for the team thus far. It was raining the entire way and definitely challenged our group throughout the 84 miles.

Since there was no lightening or thunder when I left, I imagined I was doing something else I enjoy--swimming in the rain. Of course this requires you proceed a little slower and more carefully, but the temperature was warm and the rain was actually refreshing and cool yet comfortable.

Along the way I saw a Shrine to St. Mary Tekawitha, a Native American Saint, near Fonda, NY. I also smiled as I saw about the 1,000,000 big blue inflatable swimming pool, thinking how much fun every one of those generates for zillions of kids. And as the rain came down in buckets at Amsterdam, NY, I smiled loudly as I saw the sign honoring the "Rugged Rams" of Amsterdam.

Almost thirty percent of today's ride was on a quiet, protected bike path. The only down side of these paths is that they are not easily navigated using only the provide queue sheet. Because the paths often amble around a park and community, they pose a significant navigation challenge. As I was moving around one of the nearby parks, I watched some blindly optimistic parents and 14 year old baseball players hope upon hope that their state playoffs would happen. No way on this rainy day!

The ride ended in downtown Troy, just blocks from the internationally famous Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute (RPI). Since the rain continued to pour, many of our folks ordered pizza and sandwiches for lunch instead of going out. We were all drowned rats by the end of this ride and unfortunately, one of our riders, Jen, fell and will be out for a few days with a forearm injury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home