Monday, July 17, 2006

Day 42 Wooster, OH to Niles, OH

Hard to believe it is now 15 Jul 06. The time is flying by and I know it is because we are having the time of our lives.

The day started off with a sad note as we said goodbye to Herb. Yesterday, he fell while coming down a big hill during a detour around some construction. He and I both hit the same gravel coming down a 35 mph hill that turned right at the bottom. When Herb felt his wheel slide, he decided he couldn't make the turn and headed for what he thought were some tall grasses. What he didn't see was the culvert in front of the tall grass. Consequently, he hit the trench and went flying over his handlebars, landing on his shoulder. He has some bruised ribs and a cracked collar bone and will have to come back another time to complete the journey.

Since I still without an odometer/speedometer, I rode the entire ride with Tim Trelfa. The weather was drastically improved, with comfortable temps and much lower humidity. We rode a relaxed, talking pace and still moved along at 19-20.

This 91 mile journey found me taking only 1 photo--Longhorn steers and more Longhorn calves than I've ever seen. They were obviously contented as they barely gave us a glance as we blew by. The terrain was much flatter than yesterday and the roads were good most of the way. I finished strong and was ready for much more and in sharp contrast to my humbling day yesterday.

Larry Fariss injury update: Larry continues to heal outside Columbus, OH and is resting at the Fyda's house. He has his bike fixed (new frame) and is going to meet us at Erie, PA on our day off, Monday, 17 Jul 06. Keep those prayers coming!

I am very thankful for Karen's assistance with new batteries for my bike computer. I swapped out both the computer battery and the sending unit battery and I'm now back in business. What a great creature comfort the bike computer has become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home