Sunday, July 23, 2006

Day 48 Syracuse, NY to Little Falls, NY

It's Arlene's birthday!! We started our morning together with a big Denny's breakfast (yes, I am a BIG spender!) and Arlene bought the coffee for three of us since it was not included in our meal. Grouch!

It was really humid and foggy as we pulled out of the parking lot for this 85 mile trek. Tim and I were almost the last ones to leave and we enjoyed the good roads and calm wind. The road had lots and lots of turns on the queue sheet and wouldn't you know it, one of the turns was at the top of the next page which I didn't flip fast enough. Oh well, a couple extra miles never hurt anyone! Tim and I rode together along the Erie Canal--"I got a mule and her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal . . ." What a fantastic piece of American history to see!

After the first SAG stop, I put my head down and enjoyed the tail wind and level roads and even missed the next SAG stop as I was "feeling it." After rolling into the Little Falls Best Western, I sat quietly against a wall outside and enjoyed the sun that was finally appearing from the broken clouds.

A shower and a shake later, I headed to the Laundromat to do five days of dirty clothes for Larry and Steve. Whooooooooo! While the laundry got cleaned, Tim and I went to a local drinking establishment (dive bar) and had a cold beer and some great discussions with the locals. The guys in this place were really curious and interested in our ride and even bought us a round before we returned to our drying duties.

With our clothes cleaned, Tim and I went to the locally famous "Lock 17", a canal lock that raises and drops 46 feet. We also explored the nearby Moss Island watching some novice climbers scale the nearby cliffs. Later, the hotel had a reception for us (free food and drink) and almost all our group gathered for some fun and good cheer. The crowd was happy and excited about the days ahead. We ended the day with a quick trip to Stewarts, a gas, tobacco, coffee and ice cram store. Yum, yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home