Sunday, July 23, 2006

Day 50, Troy, NY to Brattleboro, VT

And now we go to Vermont! Even having peddled every darn mile and then some, it is astounding to me that we are so far down the road. I must tell you all that more than 99 percent of the ride has been incredible and more than I could have ever asked for. I love this country even more than when I left and the sheer fun of riding the bike day after day still has not dampened my enthusiasm or spirits.

The 78 mile ride leaving NY for Vermont was billed as a hard a day because of the mountains and hills of the Green Mountain State. All in all, the climbs were somewhat long, but not as steep as we saw in Colorado. Our total climbing today was around 5100 feet and I "spinned" most of the way and saved a lot of energy for tomorrow, the last hard day of the trip.

All of our team was happy to have a mostly dry ride from beginning to end. Because we climbed some of the way through the clouds, we did get some precipitation, but it was not rain per se. I wore my overboots and my underarmor shirt under my jersey and was warm going up and down the mountains.

The highlight of my ride was coming down one of the passes when I went 50. 5 mph and felt very controlled and confident. The downhills into historic Bennington and then Brattleboro were fantastic. Around every corner are England like settings and wonderful wooded mountains. The maple trees, white burch and ever greens are so gorgeous!

With just two days to go, there is real excitement in the air. We will have a going a way dinner tomorrow night in Manchester, NH and then spread to the winds after our wheel dip in the Atlantic on Tuesday. Hold on to your hats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home