Monday, June 19, 2017

Monday, June 19, 2017 Day 1 Across America North


image4.JPG

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!


Breakfast in the Holiday Inn Express in Astoria, OR was almost tranquil!  I got down there about 5:50 am because I figured that our 50+ folks would be in there with their shoulder pads on, jockeying for cereal, milk, cinnamon rolls and waffles.  Instead, I poked my head into the kitchen and asked if I could graze on the buffet line before it officially opened at 0600, and with an accepting head nod from the cook, I was refueling!  With the spectacular bridge out the window enwrapped with fog, I shared a great meal with John from Perth, Australia who was not really feeling well; Clarence, a great friend from my 2006 ride and former professor at Auburn University; and Fred, his brother-in-law, a retired family law judge.  Great company!  As we shared a few stories, you could hear the rest of the team gather around the food and there was definitely a buzz in the air.
At precisely, yes precisely, 7:00 am, the trailer behind one of the three 15 passenger vans that support us, opened wide and we put our luggage aboard and lined up for the team photo.  Dressed in our America By Bicycle jerseys the herd completed the mandatory pleasantries and departed for the ride to St. Helens, a 69 mile jaunt down US30, mostly along the Columbia River.  
The ride began in the mist and fog, with temperatures about 57 degrees.  Since this was my first time riding with and around most of the group, I was really not looking around too much, making sure that 1 second of inattention didn't ruin my day.  I did take a few quick glances to appreciate the rustic, down home appearance of Astoria and really enjoyed the slow amble out of town for a warm up.  I did one double take as I spotted the Astoria Fire Fighter Museum on my way out of town, notable only because two of the folks on know on this ride were fire fighters.  Even with my head proverbially down, I laughed when I saw the worn, blue sign that proclaimed "Head Hunter"--it was a barber shop--and on the other side of the building was the "Butterfly Chiropractic Massage". I guess I would expect nothing less in this northwest land of peaceful coexistence.  Just 5 miles down the road, one of my fellow riders and I were treated to a young deer, happily springing along side of us for about 50-75 yards, making both of us wonder if he/she was going to turn right or left.  As Alfred E. Newman once said, "What . . . me worry?"  
This 3 hour and 30 minute ride had about 3000 feet of climbing, although none of the climbs were really steep, although 2 or three were several miles long.  I hung in there at 9-13 mph and had some fun coming down the other sides at 40-44 mph. Nothing too extreme, but fast enough to feel alive and grateful!  I did have to remind myself of "the basics" coasting down the hill fast--squeeze your knees together so they touch the top tube of the bike and keep your elbows close to your body.  This position prevents the front of the bike from wobbling and scaring the devil out of you!
All along the route we were passed by hundreds of logging trucks hauling Douglas Fir trees that were so long and so straight.  I suspect some of the riders were a bit unnerved by the close proximity of these massive trucks but the side benefit is that they literally blow a hole in the air in front of you and your bike feels like it is being pulled for 5-10 seconds.  With a good tailwind helping us out, I was plowing up some of the lighter up hill grades at 20-24 mph because of this truck effect.
I was struck by the enormous bounty that this timber industry and farming must provide this part of the country.  With the Columbia River on my left and endless Douglas Firs and farms on my right, I felt like I was sliding down yet another breadbasket in America's heartland.  Another reason to look up and thank God for being born in America.
My ride ended pleasantly with an easy turn into the Best Western in St. Helens.  While I missed the view of Mount St. Helens myself, I will gladly share a photo that one of our other riders, Andy Becker, took while stopped atop one of those hills I mentioned earlier.  Great photo indeed!
Lastly, I had the pleasure of transporting the team Rubber Duck on the back of my bike, sufficiently secured by no less than Duct Tape from my local Walmart.  The Rubber Duck enjoyed the ride as much as I did and felt safe and secure for the trip, even the 44 mph wobbling part.  
Tomorrow we depart for Welches, OR for a 75 mile ride and 3150 feet of climbing.  I think we will have to navigate in and around Portland, so it could be interesting.  Stay tuned.

Stay healthy,

Steve
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home