Monday, July 03, 2017

Monday, Jul 3, 2017 Day 15 Across America North


Beautiful road near Twin Falls, ID along canola field
Leaving Idaho for . . . 
. . . climbing in Wyoming!
Danger Will Robinson, Danger! (Google Lost in Space!)
Town Center, Jackson, Wyoming
Bill Kowalik stands next to Jackson's Elk Antler Arch
No kidding, the bear asked ME to dance!
You must see Jackson to put this in context!
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
CAC2017CYCLINGFOR GREATKIDS
There was a buzz in the air at breakfast as my fellow riders anticipated a long, challenging ride in the Tetons today.  The ride started off smoothly with light winds and a slight chill in the air.  We passed acres and acres of canola as seen in the photo above by Marty Stabler.  I felt pretty good early on and pulled my buddy, Mike Munk for about 10 miles before we split up.  Our first SAG (Support and Gear) rest stop was about 25 miles down the road and was near the beginning of the days first climb.

While the climb to the first pass at 6200 feet was long, there were not exceedingly steep sections and we had a consistent tailwind all the way to the top.  The temps definitely picked up and by the time I arrived at the second SAG at the first pass, I was dripping!  After a banana, fig newton, and two strawberries, I was on my way down the pass at speeds as high as 42 mph.  The road had a number of twists and turns and I found myself braking regularly, but still descending the 4-5 miles around 38-39 mph.  After rolling to normal speed in the town of Victor, I was at mile 66, only 11 from the top of the next pass at 8200 feet.  The next five miles were reasonably flat, as I crossed the Idaho/Wyoming border, took a few photos and began the climb that would end at mile 77.7.

Click below for GoPro by Dirk Lowry link

I will spare you the gory details but suffice it to say I was using my easiest gear for the last 1.5 miles and I was moving at about 5-6 mph.  It was long and painful, and I seriously considered taking a break on numerous occasions.  When the crest appeared I was extremely grateful as I had very, very little left in my tank at that point.  After a few photos of the surrounding area, I descended the 6 miles at almost 47 mph, and I was slowing constantly, but still clocking on the right of 40 mph.  My bike handled perfectly and I was warm for the whole ride down.  the last 8 miles to the hotel was a trek through the outskirts of Jackson and then into town itself.  We are staying just a few blocks from town square and had an opportunity to explore and see more of this magnificent town.  I am ready for a good night's sleep!

Stay healthy,
Steve
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home