Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday, June 23, 2017 Day 5 Across America North







Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!


The temp was 47 when we left Prineville, OR and about 86 when we arrived in John Day, 115 miles and 6000 feet of climbing later!  Whew!  While I was prepared for this, the headwind for the first 3/4 of the ride added yet another challenge.  By now, most of our riders have figured out their pace and they are riding with others who are going about the same speed.  I too now have a good idea of what my pace is and I stick to it whether plowing up today's three big climbs of riding the last 40 miles of flat to the hotel.  These 8-10 mile long climbs are both a physical and a mental challenge for me because I have not done any climbing in a long time.  I have a heart rate monitor on my Garmin speedometer/odometer along with a chest strap that gives me great feedback on how hard I am working, and ultimately, keeps me on a sustainable pace.

Again we were surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery going up and then a vast number of bubbling, fast running streams at the bottom.  At one point, I think my right arm was within 30 feet of the freshest, clean running stream I've ever seen.  And as my swelling feet began to ache around mile 90, I fantasized about putting my feet in the cool, beautiful water . . . and then I pushed toward the barn . . . eh, hotel!

Saw the cool sign above outside the town of Dayville, population about 130.  You gotta love friendly fossils!

Had dinner at the Outpost Cafe with Mike, from New Hampshire, former P-3 Orion pilot, and John, my real estate buddy from Perth, Australia.  Then after dinner I joined a different group of folks at the next door brew house where we compared notes from the day's ride.  Yes, it IS a tough life, but I volunteered to do it!  And yes, we complied with the posted rule above.

See you tomorrow for the 80 mile ride to Baker City, OR!


Stay healthy,

Steve

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home