Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Tuesday, Jul 4, 2017 Day 16 Across America North

Plan B--carry the bikes and team through Teton National Park
God's handiwork!
Breathtaking Tetons along our route
Wearing your favorite jersey, Mom!  Happy 4th!
Can you see the relief in my face?  Whew!
Dubois, Wyoming welcome to ABB Team
Elk antlers and a Grizzly Bear Statue--Welcome to Dubois, Wyoming!

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
Today's ride was absolutely magnificent!  After a delightful evening in Jackson, Wyoming, we executed "Plan B" for the first 30 miles through Teton National Park.  I call it Plan B because our first choice was to ride through the park and enjoy the wondrous floor that surrounds Jackson Hole.  The basin would have been a pleasant ride, but due to a bit of bureaucracy, we instead loaded our bikes onto the three vans, enjoyed a comfortable ride through the national park, and then began our ride from there.  So instead of riding 86 miles, we had a terrific time with 56 miles.  As I have stated here many times, "life happens" out here on the cycling road, and this was just a small event that we all rolled nicely with and we still made great memories along the way.
As you can see in my photos above, the views are startlingly beautiful!  It hit me many times along the ride how blessed I am to live in a country that has so many wonderful gifts to share with its people and visitors to our great country.  The ride and my surroundings reminded me how thankful I really am to live in America and be an American.  No politics here, no agendas, no bull.  I LOVE MY COUNTRY!
Click below for Dirk Lohry's great GoPro Video from Jackson to Dubois, WY
While we did climb 3800 feet today, it was not as steep and painful as the previous day where we climbed two passes and faced a significant headwind.  The climb to the summit at 9584 ft was about 4-5 miles and I was able to keep one gear in reserve versus yesterday, when I was using my easiest gear for the last 1.5 miles.  When I saw our support van at the summit I was pleasantly surprised as I thought I still had a couple more miles to go.  After taking a few photos, eating a couple fig newtons and filling my water bottles, I was ready for the descent and arrival at the Stagecoach Inn in Dubois.  This descent was not nearly as difficult because it was not nearly as steep as I experienced yesterday.  In fact, throughout the 5-6 miles downhill, I don't think I used my brakes even once, and instead just hoisted by size 44 long shoulders to slow down.  It was tremendous fun!
As I arrived in Dubois, I linked up with one of our newest cyclists,  Rose, and we pedaled into town and noticed a long line of cars.  Subsequently, we courteously moved along on the adjacent sidewalk as we realized that the police had stopped the cars for the 4th of July Parade.  As we respectfully moved around a few walkers and dogs, we suddenly realized that we were now IN the parade, moving at about 5 mph alongside World War II vintage tanks, armored personnel carriers, mobile artillery and array of beautifully restored vehicles.  A local guy apparently owns about 20-30 of these pieces and they were in impeccable shape.  All of the drivers of this US Army equipment were throwing candy, bagged pretzels and other treats to the nearby kids and on-lookers.  Consequently, Rose and I paid close attention so we did not have a collision with the kids that were jutting onto the road for the treats.  We literally rode in the parade for almost an entire mile and were well received all along the way.  What a memory!
Stay healthy,
Steve
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
CAC2017CYCLINGFOR GREATKIDS


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on crossing the Divide! Its all downhill after the Rockies (maybe).

4:26 PM  
Blogger Steve King said...

Thanks Dan!! I'm hoping you are right!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home