Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Wednesday, Jul 5, 2017 Day 17 Across America North

The mountains disappeared during this ride and the "Old West" appeared!

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
CAC2017CYCLINGFOR GREATKIDS

The ride from Dubois to Riverton, Wyoming was soooooo much fun!  Raise your hand if you would not enjoy a 79 mile, mostly downhill ride with winds blowing at your back most of the time!  Okay, put your hands down.  It was so much easier than the previous 3 or 4 days and it came at a perfect time.  Tomorrow is a 119 mile from Riverton to Casper, Wyoming and we climb 2660 feet along the way.  No big mountains, but lots of rollers across what looks like a relatively barren desert.  But I digress!

I rode with a group of about 7 for the first 10 miles, just loafing along until I had my first flat tire.  I encountered one of those pesky wires from somebodies steel belted radial.  My room mate, Bill Kowalik, kindly ended me a hand for the tire change and soon after we got the process going, our ride leader, Judy, and our mechanic, Jim, pulled up on their bikes (they get to ride every other day for at least a portion of the day's ride).  I was back in business after about 10 minutes and I rode will Bill for about 30 minutes before I put my head down to catch the other kids!

The farther I rode into Wyoming the more "western" things looked.  As the Tetons and other hills faded into the west, the painted landscapes appeared and the brown tones flourished.  I rolled into the first SAG stop, quickly refueled and left there solo for the next hour.  At the next SAG I joined up with my buddy (and former ride leader) Mike Munk, and the two of us pulled one another along for the last 20 miles into Riverton.  We tried not to kill each other, but we did make one another push here and there!  I think we saved quite a bit for tomorrow's challenge.  Can't wait!

Click below for GoPro Video by Dirk Lohry

Stay healthy,
Steve

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Erica king said...

I'm very proud of you uncle Steve

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home