Thursday, July 06, 2017

Thursday, Jul 6, 2017 Day 18 Across America North




Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
CAC2017CYCLINGFOR GREATKIDS
What a day, what a day!  We'd expected a long, hot, headwind filled day, and instead it was just long! the ride from Riverton to Casper, Wyoming is 119 miles and the terrain is rolling and unforgiving.  The rolling part is easy to understand and was absolutely enjoyable as the down hill runs enabled me to carry enough momentum so the uphills were short and not too steep.  The unforgiving part is a description of the terrain that surrounded our ride.  While I'm told a few of our riders saw antelope today, I saw nothing but scrub brush and prairie for the whole 4 hours and 35 minutes of rolling time.  

I did stop and take a photo of Hell's Half Acre, a unique looking indentation into the ground where the Native Americans used to herd the bison in order to trap/kill them.  Other than this featured photo op, I kept my head down and rode one of my fastest 100 mile times (4:35) and finished up the whole 119 in 5:34 (that includes the 4 miles of bike path riding to the hotel at 8-10 mph along the rapidly flowing North Platte River).

After all the riders arrived and we cleaned up, we gathered for a terrific meal at the hotel and said goodbyes to those riders who will leave the group here at Casper.  I will truly miss seeing and talking with my Perth, Australia friend, John Hayes, as well as my lifetime friend, Larry Fariss, who has done a number of these rides with me in the past.  Ride safely my friends so we can do this or something like this again soon!
Click below for GoPro Video by Dirk Lohry

Stay healthy,
Steve
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Les & Lorrine McPeak said...

Hang in there Steve! We are praying for you and Arlene! You are one of the most positive men I know! God's not done with you yet! We ARE going to do the Tour of the California Alps/Markleeville Deathride! No Doubt!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home