Sunday, July 09, 2017

Friday, Jul 7, 2017 Day 19 Across America North

The Casper Fair lives!

Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!
CAC2017CYCLINGFOR GREATKIDS

The day off in Casper was definitely welcomed as we now have completed 1359 miles and more than 43,000 feet of climbing.  After the ride, I hit the hot tube and pool for some relaxation and stretching after the 119 mile ride.  The evening meal together at the Ramada Inn was a chance to tell all our friends goodbye that were leaving (Larry, Rose, Theresa, Eric, Bill, John), and was our chance to welcome the three riders who will join us for part of the ride (Richard, Dan, and Bob).  And like most nights, I think I was asleep by 9:30 pm!

The day off is always a chance to clean your bike (check), do laundry (check), and get some form of light exercise to maintain flexibility.  One of my fellow riders, Jeanine, found a local aquatic club where she and I, and one other lady, Barb, could swim.  It only took me a few laps to remember what swimming at 5000 feet above sea level is like!  I swam about 500 yards and then relaxed in the hot tub overlooking the beautiful mountains that are to the south of Casper.  Eventually, I got out of the hot tub and walked along the "lazy river" along with several septuagenarians.  As the 85 degree water walked me along, I felt like a race horse enjoying my leisurely leg stretches in the warm down pool.  The swim and the walk really helped me stretch, something I think will pay dividends over the next 2300 miles!

I spent the evening with Bill and Kathy Kowalik, and John Hayes, by first visiting the nearby Casper Fairgrounds.  Although the play doesn't open until Tuesday (today is Saturday), there were still many rides set up and lots of food booths getting squared away.  Since we had no volunteers to do the rides that would guarantee you would hurl, we adjourned to a nice Mexican restaurant just minutes away.  Bill and Kathy are off to explore some of Wyoming before returning to Bend, OR where they have just recently moved after living in Australia for the last eight years while working for Chevron.  John is off to New York to meet his wife for several stops in the US before returning home to Perth, Australia.  I will definitely miss the joy and fun that all of these folks brought to this group.

****CAC Fundraising update---We have raised $2880 for the CAC as of today!  Thank you to one and all for the help for these great kids.******

Stay healthy,

Steve
Click below to support the CAC mission and make a tax-deductible donation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home